Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tacky Parts of the US

The two first weeks in Philly has been totally incredible! I have met fantastic people, gained valuable knowledge and visited fascinating sights. However, I think it is my duty also to tell you about the less impressive parts of the stay.

Today we went to the Jersey Shore – that is the famous beaches of New Jersey, the American State with highest density of people. We were promised a beautiful beach with dolphins and tasty restaurants along the shore. We were told that plenty of Phillies (usually known as “Shoe bees” because they used to bring lunch in shoe boxes) drive three hours for spending a day there in the weekends.

After hearing all the beautiful descriptions of the shore, I thought we were going to have a peaceful day in pretty conditions. But I did really not get what I expected. Unfortunately the shore was a tacky and commercial village. It was a filled with plenty of bad restaurants, tacky amusement parks and huge masses of people swimming in dirty water; to sum up, a place with a great lack of charm. Perhaps my bad impression of Jersey Shore comes as a response to the fantastic day in New York – let us hope so. However, I recommend everyone to skip a visit to the east coast shore. America has several better things to offer you!

No comments:

Post a Comment